Sacred Stones Project
For Sacred Stones at Abbey of New Clairvaux
In 2010, the Hind Foundation granted $150,000 to the Abbey of New Clairvaux for their $7 million Sacred Stones Project, a restoration of a medieval chapter house on its historic grounds in Vina, California. After six years of construction, the chapter house and its adjoining atrium are nearing completion. During 2010 the first four of the six trans-vaulted ceiling units were installed by the stone masons, and in 2011 the final two units will be completed as well as the floor of the chapter house. During 2011 and 2012, the chapter house and atrium will be completed and the stones masons will accomplish the necessary finishing touches to make the chapter house complete.
• Spiritual Journey
Once completed, the abbey will become a pilgrimage site that draws devoted people from all over the world.
• Increased Visibility
The grant from the Hind Foundation, which was given at a time when raising funds was a significant challenge, gave the project more visibility and credibility than could have been anticipated. In turn, that visibility created momentum with other supporters who helped the Abbey of New Clairvaux meet its capital campaign goal.
View More Success Stories
|Area of Funding: Historical Landmark Restoration|
|Type of Funding: Standard Grant|
|Amount Funded: $150,000|
|Year Funded: 2010|
|Year Completed: 2000|
|About the Organization|
|Sacred Stones at Abbey of New Clairvaux|
|26240 Seventh Street|
|Vina, CA 96092|
The Abbey of New Clairvaux is a rural Trappist monastery located in Northern California in the small town of Vina in Tehama County. The Abbey was established in 1955 when monks from the Abbey of Gethsemani sought to begin a foundation in California.